Information for Cornell Researchers
Cornell AES currently manages $6 million in Federal Capacity Funds (FCF), allocated annually by the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA).
The funds allocated by NIFA fall into four different programs:
- Hatch: supports research basic to problems of agriculture in its broadest aspects.
- Multistate Research Program: supports research on high-priority topics among various State Agricultural Experiment Stations (SAES) in partnership with NIFA and other institutions, to tackle projects beyond the scope of a single SAES.
- McIntire-Stennis: supports research related to commercial and urban forestry, and land and water management.
Applying for Federal Capacity Funds
PI eligible faculty from the Colleges of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Veterinary Medicine, and Human Ecology will be automatically notified by email at the beginning of the next funding cycle. The annual call for pre-proposals goes out in mid-October. The competitive review process includes reviews from stakeholders, faculty, and directors. If a pre-proposal is approved, researchers must submit a full proposal. Project approval will depend on a final review by NIFA.
Resources for Cornell PIs and Administrative Managers
- Funding Cycle (pdf)
- Research and Extension Priorities (pdf)
- Research Guidelines, Cornell AES and AgriTech (pdf)
- Research Allowable & Unallowable Expenses (pdf)
- Principal Investigator Eligibility Requirements (pdf)
- Research Equipment Request (pdf)
- Overview for Preparing a Full Proposal and Project Initiation (pdf)
- National Institute of Food and Agriculture
- NIFA Acknowledgement in Publications (pdf)
- Cost Share Information (pdf)
- Capacity Grant Terms & Conditions (pdf)
NIFA Reporting System
- NIFA Reporting System (NRS)
- eAuthentication Instructions (pdf)
- Project Initiation Instructions (pdf)
- Results (pdf) (previously: Annual Progress Report)